Crown Chakra 101 for Beginners
There are seven major chakra points located on the physical body, the highest of which is the Crown Chakra. A balanced Crown Chakra manifests itself in several ways, including having a deeper understanding and love for the universe. Meanwhile, a blocked Crown Chakra makes a person egotistical, disconnected, and even sick.
There are many ways one can achieve Crown Chakra healing. A very potent way to do that is to use Crown Chakra stones and crystals. However, there are so many other healing techniques you can incorporate into your daily lifestyle today that will start to open your Crown Chakra using nothing more than just you!
What Is the Crown Chakra and Its Meaning?
The crown or Sahasrara chakra is the seventh and highest of the seven chakras in the physical body. It is connected to a higher consciousness: a part of yourself that is eternal and beyond ego. This chakra point is the seat of devotion, trust, positivity, and happiness. Lifeforce is supposed to enter our bodies through the Crown Chakra.
Opening this chakra point is believed to be the last step towards enlightenment because it brings forth pure consciousness and transcendence. It connects a person to the infinite source of life,which is said to bring inspiration and harmony.
The main function of the Crown Chakra is to bring about and enhance one’s spiritual connection with the universe, foster enlightenment, and build a universal identity and awareness.It also reinforces unity, wisdom, and the realization that everything in the universe is connected and unified.
The Crown Chakra is symbolized by a 1000-petaled lotus flower or a lotus flower with an infinite number of petals that bring forth spiritual awakening. It is also associated with divine colors, such as violet, white or clear, and gold. The Crown Chakra’s element is pure light, thought, and/or cosmic energy.
What Causes Crown Chakra Blockage?
Blockage or overactivity in the Crown Chakra is often caused by lower chakra imbalance. In fact, you cannot open your Crown Chakra unless you’ve balanced the first three chakra points: the root, sacral, and solar plexus chakras. These three lower chakra points, if not tended to properly, may monopolize a person’s attention and drain their life force.
Trauma acquired in the spiritual realm can also block the Crown Chakra. Moreover, certain fears cantrigger dysfunctions. Because of these triggers, certain symptoms of a blocked Crown Chakra may manifest. These include:
- Neurological disorders
- Nerve and thyroid issues
- Chronic fatigue
- Sensitivity to light
- Skin rashes
- Brain fog
- Mental illness
- Trouble setting and achieving goals
- Lack of inspiration
- Lack of meaning in life
- Inability to connect spiritually
- Disconnection from the higher self
- Inability to trust
- Uncontrollable ego
- Either cynicism or obsession with spirituality
- Playing victim
- Lack of empathy
- Being judgmental
- Low motivation
How to Open and Heal the Crown Chakra
Developing your Crown Chakra opens your heart, mind, and soul to the Divine. You become more aware of your own consciousness and build up your connection to everything in the universe. This awakening of sorts brings both peace and harmony to your life.
Below are some activities that you might want to incorporate into your daily routine to help you open and heal your Crown Chakra:
Use Crystals that Support the Crown Chakra
The Crown Chakra is associated with the color violet. According to Sanskrit teachings on chakra, violet is the color with the highest energy vibration. It is associated with magic, mystery, and purification. The Crown Chakra is also linked to other colors, such as white, gold, and all the colors. Crown Chakra stones and crystals that are violet or purple in color are known to help clear blockages. Golden and white or clear Crown Chakra crystals may also be used to open this chakra point.
Use Crown ChakraMantras and Affirmations
To balance a chakra point, you can recite specific mantras to help you manifest your intentions of healing. The mantra for the Crown Chakra is “Aum” or “Om.” This mantra is made of three distinct sounds: “A-U-M.” You can recite this mantra while meditating with your chosen Crown Chakra crystals.
Alternatively, you can use affirmations. We recommend the following affirmations to be recited during meditation:
- I am an open and expanded being
- I am connected to the divine source
- I am connected to my higher self
- I am open to divine guidance and wisdom
- I honor the Divine within
Use Crown ChakraEssential Oils
Certain scents and oils can be used to remove blockages in the Crown Chakra. Put around 6 drops in a scent diffuser and place it around where you normally do your daily tasks or meditation. Helpful Crown Chakra essential oils include:
- Ylang ylang
- Lotus of the water lily
Practice Certain Yoga Poses that Help Stimulate the Crown Chakra
Crown Chakra poses involve movement and stretching of the head and most of the upper body. Recommended asanas to help balance the Crown Chakra include:
- Lotus pose
- Half lotus pose
- Savasana pose
- Tree pose
- Supported headstand
- Crane pose
- Downward facing dog pose
- Fish pose
- Corpse pose
There are several meditation methods you can use for Crown Chakra healing. The most common method is visualization. To do this, imagine a golden or white light funneling into and surrounding the crown of the head. You should feel that this light is recharging both your spiritual and physical bodies. In the process, allow yourself to experience a connection to the universe and the higher realms.
Another method you can use is to imagine your breath going directly to your Crown Chakra. Do this around 5-10 minutes per day. Alternatively, you can practice silence or mindfulness meditation for the same duration every day. Just make sure that your space is quiet so you won’t be distracted.
Practice Crown ChakraMudras
Mudras are hand gestures that you can practice while meditating. To practice the mudra for the Crown Chakra, place the tips of both your index fingers and thumbs together to form a pyramid shape. Your other fingers should remain straight and extended upwards. Place this mudra around six to seven inches above the crown of your head as you sit in quiet meditation. Do this for one to five minutes
Consume Crown ChakraSupporting Foods
Doing spiritual activities isn’t the only thing you can do to support your Crown Chakra. Physical activities such as exercising and eating certain foods also help prepare the body to receive Divine learnings and wisdom.
To help remove blockages in your Crown Chakra, consume more light, raw foods. Superfoods such as berries, leafy greens, nuts, whole grains, and yogurt are great sources of nutrients and can be consumed to help support the Crown Chakra.
The best dietary practice to support the Crown Chakra is by fasting or doing water fasts. But before doing this, check in with your healthcare provider so you can plan for it and avoid stressing your body too much.
Other Crown Chakra Healing Techniques
Aside from the activities listed above, you can also do a whole lot of other Crown Chakra healing activities. These include:
- Practicing kindness and gratitude
- Doing reiki
- Bathing in sunlight, or reading in the sun
- Interacting with nature
- Listening to music that inspires and uplifts
- Practicing selfless service and compassion
- Being aware of ego flare-ups
- Watching the sunset
- Doing things that inspire you
- Hiking to a nice spot with a beautiful view
How Do You Know If Your Crown Chakra Is Open and Balanced?
There are many ways to know that your Crown Chakra is open. The benefits of a balanced Crown Chakra can be divided into several categories: emotional, spiritual, mental, and physical. Below are some of the most common signs that your Crown Chakra is healthy:
- You see yourself in others,enabling you to empathize better.
- You’re driven towards humanitarianism, selflessness, and non-judgment.
- You want to seek meaning in everything.
- You can sincerely experience true joy, peace, and faith.
- You are present in the now.
- Fear no longer has a dominant hold over your life.
- You let go of old emotional patterns and make way for new experiences.
- You can easily express and share true love.
- Your mind and other mental faculties are well-developed.
- You are able to think on your feet.
- Your mind and perception are sharp.
- You cultivateopen-mindedness and curiosity.
- You think about things deeply without damaging your own mental well-being.
- You cultivate a love of reading, studying, and learning.
- You improve your creativity and imagination.
- Both your central and peripheral nervous systems are healthy.
- You feel one with everything–living beings and even the elements and the cosmos.
- There is a strong and deep connection with the infinite Divine.
- Spirituality is at the forefront of your life and one of your highest priorities.
- You are able to transcend materialism in favor of spiritual meaning.
- Your spiritual insight is strong.
- You find it easier to connect and converse with beings of the higher plane, spirit guides, and also with your higher self.
- You are aware of your Divine purpose and the reason why you’re incarnated into this life.
- You live life with great clarity and meaning.
- Both mindfulness and prayer have become second nature to you.
- You’re deeply grateful for the Universal love that surrounds you.
- You always feel that something is watching, protecting, and guiding you throughout life.
The Crown Chakra is our connection to our Divine source and the key to understanding both ourselves and the universe. You can achieve Crown Chakra healing by incorporating any of our suggestions above in your daily routine. While balancing this chakra is an important step in our journey to self-discovery, we must not neglect our other chakra points. As always, take care of yourself and strive to be a better version of yourself each and every day.